Thursday, May 27, 2010

Panic.

Is that the state of mind you're in right now?
 
I've been there.  With my postings here I'm hoping that I might point you in the right direction to either getting your Parallels Virtual Machine up and running again or recover data from your VM, hard drive image and/or snapshot files.

I had my Macbook Pro 17 crash on me.   Still under warranty, Apple replaced the drive and attempted to recover most of my files.  To their credit, they did an amazing job, however my Parallels VM was corrupt and beyond even the repair of the Parallels support staff which spent well over three hours remotely trying to fix it.

Did I have a backup?  Um, not anything recent.  I had stopped backing up my VM because I was running out of space on my backup drive and well, I learned my lesson good that storage at any price is always cheaper than trying to recover data.

I've Googled, searched, tried every approach there was to get my VM up and running with the latest image of my VM, but it was all for nothing.

Then, nearly two weeks after trying everything (I really only cared about all of the data files that were on my latest Snapshot), when I was ready to throw in the towel and just give up, I found a solution that at least got back most of my data. 

While I hope to myself never have to repeat this again (I have multiple external backups now in addition to Time Machine/Time Capsule), I hope that I can help you if you're in the same unfortunately situation that I was in.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment